Monday, January 31, 2011

01/31/11- Dubliner Cheese with Stout


The third meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on the 31st of January, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Tony, and Susie the Cat. Visiting member was Old Greg of Cullowhee.

The cheese for this meeting was a Dubliner cheese with stout. It was served in 4 different varieties: room temp with Ritz, cold with apples, sliced with sourdough bread, and shredded and melted on Nachos. Jesse tried it with dark Godiva chocolate as a wild card.

Moobs- Overall it was a very strong, stout cheese. The cracker made it very palatable. The apple not as good, a little harder that I liked. The nachos were the best. The sourdough bread amplified the bitterness of the cheese and I didn't finish it.

Scott- It was good, my favorite so far. I liked it by itself best, but was pretty strong. On the nachos second. Didn't care for it with the apple. The bread was alright, but it masked the flavor of the cheese.

Jesse- The harder the better. I was freaked out by the bitterness and I started hunting for the stout flavor. The warm cheese texture threw me off a bit, but I liked the flavor. With the apple it tasted better than by itself, the stout flavor complimented the sweetness of the apples. The nachos were very good. The saltiness of the cheese and the greasiness of the cheese was a good combination. The dark chocolate and the salty cheese tasted good. The rich flavor of the chocolate opened new flavors in the cheese. Overall I would it eat it again, if it wasn't for the price.

Tony- It was a decent cheese that reminded me of a strong provolone. It went well with the Ritz cracker, I liked the texture of it at room temperature. With apples, the sweetness unlocked a whole new flavor with it, but the coldness made it a bit too hard. The nachos were alright, but there wasn't enough cheese on them. The sourdough bread was going stale and tasted gross, did not finish.

Old Greg- My initial impression with the warm cheese was that it was very soft and creamy. The headiness of the stout was very smoky, which I enjoyed and it went well with the Ritz. I enjoyed it with the apples as much as I did with the crackers. With the chips it was absolutely delicious and it seemed like it was created to be part of a nacho dish. After the oils had been separated from the rest of the cheese it made it almost a new cheese altogether. The bread brought out the bitterness and it was the only flavor that really stood out.

Susie the cat- Didn't like it.

The International Cheese Club will meet again next week. Cheese tba.

No comments:

Post a Comment