Sunday, February 13, 2011

02/13/2011- Habanero & Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese



The fifth meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on February 13, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Susie the Cat, and Tony. Old Greg was absent for the meeting this week. Special Guest Brennan joined us.

The cheese this week was provided by Jesse and Tony's mom Pat. It was a Troyer's Habanero & Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese. It was presented cold with Ritz, sliced with apples, shredded and warmed over nachos, and melted over sourdough bread.

Opinions:

Moobs- It's cheddar cheese, which is delicious. I didn't taste the habanero right away, but the heat kicked in after a moment. With the cracker it was, of course, delicious. The apple changed the flavor of the cheese for me, I could taste the peppers more. My favorite was with the bread. It melted and toasted together very well. The nachos were excellent. I really enjoyed it, the peppers added something to it. Nice change on an old classic.

Scott- I liked it. It was a very mild cheddar and that helped balance the spiciness. The heat lingered, it didn't go away very quickly. I can still feel it a bit. I liked it by itself best. The apple was good, but the sweetness conflicted with the cheese. The nachos were decent, better than last time. The cheese bread was alright too, it would probably make a good grilled cheese. My only complaint is that it had almost a sweet processed cheese taste, but I would eat it again.

Jesse- I like the novelty idea of the two peppers in the cheese. Regarding the quality of the cheddar is that it was too creamy and sour. I thought with the apples it amplified the low quality of the cheddar. The nachos were naturally a good fit, even still it was ridiculously spicy. I would not eat this cheese again. The jalapeno flavor was a joke, it added to the sourness.

Tony- I loved this cheese. Super spicy and super tasty. By itself, it was incredible. Add Ritz to that equation and you got an awesome combo. The apples enhanced the spiciness and texture, which was nice and firm. Nachos were why this cheese was made, so they were delicious too. The best, though, was melted on the sourdough. I'm eager to try this as a grilled cheese. My favorite cheese we've done so far.

Brennan- Definitely my favorite cheese I've tried so far. I think my favorite was on the nachos. It tasted awesome and I would serve those at a party. The apples were a good snack, not something I would go out of my way to do again. I've had better cheeses on bread, nothing special. The Ritz added a lot of flavor, it was really good.

Susie the Cat- Didn't like it

The ICC will meet in a week. Scott will be providing the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment