Tuesday, February 22, 2011

02/22/2011- Cahill's Porter Cheese



The sixth meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on February 22, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Jesse, Scott, Tony, and Susie the Cat. Special guests joining us were Brennan and Irene.

This week's cheese was provided by Scott and it was an Irish porter cheddar. It was served cold with sliced apples and pears. Melted over nacho chips and butter snap pretzels. Grilled on potato bread. Brennan, Scott, and Irene drank some Guinness with their sampling.

Opinions:

Moobs- The cheese was alright, but I'm not sure what porter's supposed to taste like. By itself, it was bitter and with the apple it was very bitter. The pear was very sweet and complimented the cheese very well. I tasted more pretzel than cheese, it was better with the nachos. It was better baked than by itself. The grilled cheese was odd mix of flavors and I'm not sure I would it eat in again like that. Probably not my favorite cheese or that I would buy it.

Scott- I really liked the cheese. By itself, it was very bitter and stout. You could definitely taste the hint of porter with it. The apple was okay, but the pear brought out the taste of the cheese better. The butter snap pretzels overpowered the cheese, the nachos were pretty good. I felt like grilled cheese was very good, the sweetness of the potato bread brought out the flavor of the cheese. The Guinness brought out the porter flavor from the cheese. I would buy this cheese again, probably for an appetizer with a sampler platter.

Jesse- Inital reaction, it tasted like the smell of a dried wet towel or an armpit. Not sure what application this has unless you were drunk. The quality of the cheese was decent, but this is the second Irish cheese we've eaten. The Dubliner cheese seemed like a higher quality cheddar. Apple and the pear just tasted flat, like I was eating cheese and apples. The chips brought out the burntness of the baking pan they cooked it on. I would never buy it or recommend it to anyone.

Tony- I wasn't a fan of the cheese from the start. By itself, it was very strong and bitter, not that pleasant. The apple was extremely sweet and blocked out the cheese flavor, but the pear was actually decent with it, probably my favorite application of the cheese. The pretzels just tasted like butter and the nachos enhanced the bitterness of the cheese. I wasn't a fan of the grilled cheese at all. My main issue here with the cheese was the weird coloration of it. It was a yellowish-white with brown marbling in it, not very pleasant and didn't make the cheese go down any better.

Brennan- The first taste of it, it was not very good. However the cheese with an apple was VERY good. The pretzel was not as good as the apple. The chips were probably my favorite and tasted the best. The grilled cheese tasted really good too. I can make that and eat it for a snack. With the Guinness, it really wasn't that bad.

Irene- I thought the pretzel was delicious, especially after I drank the Guinness.

Susie the Cat- Liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment