Sunday, March 13, 2011

03/13/2011- President Brie and Jarlsburg

The eighth meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on March 13, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Tony, and Susie the Cat.

This week we sampled 2 cheeses to make up for our absence last week. This week we tried President Brie and Jarlsburg cheese. The brie was served warm with Ritz crackers. The Jarlsburg was served cold with Ritz.

Opinions:



Moobs- The first way I tried it was without the rind, just the creamy center. I didn't think I would like it, but I didn't mind it. Very good. Not much of a taste at first, but has a good aftertaste. The rind gave it kind of a sour taste. It went good with the Ritz, seems like a good accent cheese.

Scott- Not a big fan of brie. Without the rind, it's a very subdued flavor, can't taste much at all. Very light and creamy. As far as flavor goes, a slight moldiness to it. Definitely strong with the rind, but I'm not a fan of moldy cheeses. The Ritz didn't bring out any new flavors in the cheese.

Jesse- On a gag factor of 1-10, I give it a 3. It makes me gag, but not a lot. Can't say I like, the flavor isn't there. The rind doesn't taste like you should be eating it. Taste like you're eating fish skin. Pricewise, not much flavor. I give it a zero.

Tony- The brie was really good. It had a nice buttery taste to it. The rind didn't really compliment it well, but it wasn't awful. The Ritz brought out the flavor even more. Very good stuff.

Susie the cat- She liked it. Did not eat the rind.




Moobs- First thing I noticed is that it has a strong odor. It wasn't as pungent as the sheep's milk, but still strong. It was alright, not what I was expecting. It wasn't something I would eat by itself, the taste was too strong. The cracker was good with it, but not really a snacking cheese.

Scott- I really liked it. It was very similar to Swiss, a lot stronger. I would like to try it with different things than just a cracker next time.

Jesse- Thought it was a good cheese. Initally very strong and sour, but it seemed like a high quality cheese. Had a good Swiss flavor though, but I liked the texture and bite of it best of all. A man's cheese. For the price I would buy it again, but it doesn't seem like a high quality once I knew the price.

Tony- A very strong odor with a nice Swiss taste to it. A firm cheese with a good bite to it, enjoyed it a lot. The Ritz was an okay compliment to it. Probably would be good grilled.

Susie the cat- Did not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment