Sunday, April 10, 2011

04/10/2011- Mahon Do Mitica




The 12th meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on April 10, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Tony, and Susie the Cat. Special guests Richard and Brennan joined us.

The cheese we ate was Mahon Do Mitica aged 12 months from Spain. Scott bought it at EarthFare for 7 bucks. It was served with mini-toast, strawberries, and in a grilled cheese form.

STATEMENTS


Smell:

Moobs- It smells a lot like the other cheeses we've had. A general cheese smell. Like parmesan I guess.

Scott- It's a good smell. The same as all the hard cheeses have been. Comparable to parmesan.

Jesse- A rich, creamy, kind of sharp scent.

Tony- Quite pungent, bordering on unpleasant. Very strong.

Richard- Smelled like parmesan, a little hint of nuts.

Brennan- I have to agree with everyone else, it looked and smelled like parmesan. I didn't like the smells as much as parmesan, didn't really like the smell. Thought it was gonna suck.


Taste:

Moobs- I wasn't really sure if I was going to be impressed with this cheese. It was similar to some of the other cheeses we've had. It was really good though. A very salty cheese, but I liked it in that way.

Scott- I agree with Moobs and Richard, it was a good cheese, but it had a salty, nuttiness with it. I like this cheese.

Jesse- I thought the cheese was good. It was so salty it dried my tongue by itself. A very sharp cheese. It had a very poignant aftertaste, almost spicy.

Tony- A strong flavor with a nice bite. I enjoyed it a lot. Not as hard as some of the others we've eaten.

Richard- Very dry, it crumbled apart easily. No spice, to me, but rather a vinegar kick to it. It was good.

Brennan- At first I didn't like it by itself. It tasted awful. Once we started with the breads it was good.


Best Application:

Moobs- The grilled cheese. The combination of the butter, the salt, and the bread was very good. It all worked together very well, melted together nice. Very chewy.

Scott- I'll have to go with the grilled cheese also. It melted together very nicely and was chewy. The mini-toast was a close second.

Jesse- I didn't really like the strawberries, felt like you were just eating calories. I did like it on the nacho chips, the saltiness of the cheese and chips was a match made in heaven. Left my tongue pleading for water.

Tony- The mini-toast. It opened a lot of nice flavors in the cheese.

Richard- I liked the grilled cheese. The guys said it, it all melted together very well.

Brennan- The best was the grilled cheese. It tasted awesome.


Final Thoughts:

Moobs- I liked the cheese, was better than I was expecting. It went really great with the breads and by itself, but I probably wouldn't eat it by itself. A good compliment cheese. The strawberries and that cheese don't mix.

Scott- Liked it, I would even buy it again. Makes a damn good grilled cheese.

Jesse- Compared to other harder, sharper cheese we've had (like the gouda) I thought it stood up well. It seemed a little too sharp to be eaten cubed. I would it eat it again, if I was in Spain.

Tony- A nice cheese, nice to take a break from French cheeses and try this one. I might eat it again.

Richard- It was a good complimentary cheese, I would have it again. I don't think it would go well with fruit, maybe a Granny Smith apple.

Brennan- If I had to choose between this cheese and anything else at the store, I would probably choose anything else. Worked well on toast, but I didn't like it otherwise.

Susie the Cat- Liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment