Monday, April 18, 2011

04/18/2011- Humboldt Fog (Fan Suggestion)



The 13th meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on April 18, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Tony, and Susie the Cat. Special guests Richard, James, Cagney, and Sasha the Dog joined us. Tenuous member Old Greg was also present.

The cheese we ate was suggested by a loyal fan of ours, Dottie Brunette of Sylva, NC. The cheese is called Humboldt Fog, a goat cheese with a fine line of vegetable ash running through it. Tony bought it at EarthFare for 7 bucks. It was served with mini-toast, pears, and apples.

Smell:

Moobs- It doesn't smell bad. Smells a lot like the other cheeses we had. The more we do this, the more a cheese has to be very unique to have a distinct aroma.

Scott- It definitely smelled like cheese. The rind smelled stronger than the inside.

Jesse- Kind of buttery, sharper smell. Had like a creamy milk scent.

Tony- A cream cheese smell, nice and smooth.

Richard- A mixture of cream cheese and mozzarella. It was surprisingly pleasant.

Greg- It smelled like cheese, what do you want from me?

James- I'm a smoker so I don't smell very well, but pretty fragrant. Not too pungent, a pleasant odor.

Cagney- I thought that it was mild at first sniff, but it got stronger as you inhaled.


Taste:

Moobs- I didn't really like it, kind of a sour taste. You could taste the ash in it, which isn't bad, but overall wasn't impressed.

Scott- I liked the cheese, I wasn't crazy about the rind. The ash gave it a kind of bitterness, but the rest had a creamy, classic goat cheese taste.

Jesse- By itself it tasted too creamy and buttery for my flavor. I think that a cheese should not taste like you're eating basically butter.

Tony- Like a bleu cheese, cream cheese mix. If you're trying it, go with a bit of the rind, it really compliments it.

Richard- I liked the taste, very close to cream cheese with a bit of sour aftertaste. I didn't mind it.

Greg- It tasted like a really creamy parmesan to me. It was almost like a parm mixed with sour cream and cream cheese.

James- It was good, kind of mild. I've had stronger goat cheeses than that. I could taste the ash and it added a nice dryness to your mouth to compliment the creaminess. It was good, eat it with the rind.

Cagney- I agree, I think the rind is fantastic. I couldn't taste the ash, but I thought it was an excellent cream cheese, goat cheese mix with the sharpness of bleu cheese.


Best Application:

Moobs- By itself. I didn't like the pear, it made it taste more sour. The toast and apple didn't add much.

Scott- I liked the pear the best. It brought out the flavors, all the good things about the cheese. The mini-toast I also liked.

Jesse- The melbatoast. The pear and the apples consistency were a little too healthy. When I at the toast and cheese together it brought back nice memories of cheddar cheese, Ritz packets you can buy.

Tony- The pear was really good with it. Added a nice contrast to the cheese. I enjoyed it a lot.

Richard- The mini toast. The texture was a nice compliment to the cheese, kind of like a bagel with cream cheese.

Greg- By itself, I didn't like the toast and cheese mix. Didn't get to try the fruit.

James- If you want to enjoy it, eat it by itself. It's so mild that the fruit takes over. The melbatoast kind of taste like Ritz handi-snacks.

Cagney- I didn't like the pears, I think pears are sand combined with sugar water. The best was the toast by far. Mini toast kicks ass.


Final Thoughts:

Moobs- I just didn't really like the cheese, a little to sour for me. I wouldn't buy this cheese. It was interesting though, I'm glad I tried it. Never had anything quite like it.

Scott- It was good, but I would never buy this cheese. I would just go with a cheaper goat cheese.

Jesse- For the price, I'm not going to pay that much for cream cheese. It tasted good with crackers, but so would cheddar. I don't have enough respect for that cheese to buy it again.

Tony- Very delicious cheese, I enjoyed it a lot. I never had goat cheese before, but I'm glad I did. Would be good by itself or on a bagel.

Richard- I would buy it, not constantly, but it's something to enjoy.

Greg- Yum.

James- I would buy this cheese, but not by myself. I liked it though.

Cagney- I would eat this again, it was a good cheese. I enjoyed it, I think I liked it the best out of all of us. I wouldn't buy it, I mooch all my cheese.

Sasha the Dog- Liked it

Susie the Cat- Liked it

No comments:

Post a Comment