Sunday, April 24, 2011

04/24/2011- 6-Month Aged Provolone



The 14th meeting of the International Cheese Club commenced on April 18, 2011. Present members were Moobs, Scott, Jesse, Tony, and Susie the Cat. New member inducted was Richard. This week we sampled a 6-month aged provolone from Philadelphia, PA. Due to lack of preparation it was sampled only cold and sliced.

Smell:

Moobs- A very strong smell. I didn't think it was bad, just very noticeable. Like provolone with a stronger aroma. Fragrant.

Scott- It smelled pretty rank to me. It smelled like a cheesy butt-crack to me.

Jesse- I having trouble smelling today. It smelled sharp.

Tony- Smells very strong, powerful. Sort of musky.

Richard- Smelled like provolone, I didn't notice anything too unique.

Taste:

Moobs- I liked it, it was a strong cheese, very sharp. Robust. It has a lingering taste to it, but it's not a bad aftertaste. I would have a hard time eating it by itself, but a little goes a long way.

Scott- Taste was okay. I can see it being really good with a cold cut sandwich or crumbled on a salad, but a little too sharp by itself.

Jesse- Off the bat a greasy, almost crumbly, sandy texture. There's that, but it hits you with the second stage. Probably best part of the flavor, a rich provolone, parmesan, Romano pizza taste. Into a third and final stage of the flavor, the aftertaste, a burning, sharp lingering aftertaste.

Tony- That classic, strong taste. Reminds me of South Philly. I love it. A little goes a very long way.

Richard- I'm not a fan of it cold, I'm sure it taste different cooked. It's all sharp and burn to me, no real flavor.

Final opinion:

Moobs- It's unfortunate we weren't as prepared for this with some fruits or sauces. I really wish we had some bread because it would probably be good toasted. I bet in the right setting it would be great.

Scott- By itself, I wouldn't eat it again, but I would like to try it accompanied by something.

Jesse- Good cheese, all the way from Jersey. Very nostalgic flavor for me, we used to eat it a lot with Italian sausage. Pleased to be able to eat it again and will. Kind of hurts my stomach by itself.

Tony- I love it, one of the best cheeses ever. It reminds me of family gatherings and delicious food. I swore off pork a while ago, but I would devour a pork sandwich with the cheese and some gravy on it.

Richard- Pretty much what Scott said, would love to try it cooked with something.

Susie the Cat- She liked it.

It was decided we will try this cheese again in some sort of sandwich form. Stay tuned around midweek for our follow-up blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment